**Article published on Jan 3, 2023
Greenhouse Recruiting's integration with Byteboard allows you to seamlessly add Byteboard’s assessment to your job's interview plan. In this article, we will cover all the topics listed in the table of contents above ^^:
Before you Begin
In order to set up the integration, you will need the following permissions:
- Super Admin permissions in your Greenhouse instance
- Admin permissions in your Byteboard instance
1. Enable the Greenhouse/Byteboard Integration
- To start, have a Byteboard admin visit the the Team Settings page of the Byteboard client dashboard to enable your integration. Toggle the Greenhouse Integration button ‘on’ to begin.
- Find your API key under the API Key heading under the Greenhouse Integration. Once you have copied your API key, visit your Greenhouse homepage and click Get Help in the lower-left corner. Type “Integration Setup” in the chat box, and then click Chat Now. Once connected with an agent, write “I’d like to set up an integration with Byteboard” and they will respond with a link where you can provide your API Key.
- The Greenhouse Support Team will respond with a SendSafely link for you to enter your API key. A notification will be sent to the Greenhouse Support Team after you have entered your API key and they will email you to confirm that your API key has been set up in your account and your integration is enabled.
Add Byteboard Stage to Job’s Interview Plan
Once your Greenhouse representative confirms that the Greenhouse/Byteboard integration is enabled for your organization, you will be able to add the Byteboard assessment as an Interview stage.
To do this for an existing job, navigate to a job (All Jobs>Job Name) and click Job Setup from the Job navigation bar.
From the Job Setup page, navigate to Interview Plan on the left-hand panel. Scroll down the page and click + Add a Stage.
From the Add Stage dialog box, select the Byteboard stage. When finished, click Add to apply the stage to the job's interview plan.
Configure Byteboard Stage
Once the stage has been added to the job's interview plan, click the edit button for that stage.
Use the provided drop-down menu to choose assessments that you have previously requested from Byteboard:
- Select the appropriate assessment and assign at least one Greenhouse user to review submitted assessments.
- When finished, click Save.
2. Enable the Harvest API
Generate a Harvest API Key
- Navigate to the API Credentials page (Configure → Dev Center → API Credential Management)
- Click Create new API key. Set Type to Harvest, Partner to Byteboard, and Description to
Byteboard Harvestor similar. Click Create.
- If you already have an existing Harvest API key for Byteboard, you can edit that API key to match the description above, and then continue with the steps below.
Expand here for an example screenshot of creating a new API key
- Save the API key to a secure location
- Grant the following permissions and be sure to click Save when you have selected them:
- Get: Retrieve Application
- Get: List Applications
- Get: Retrieve Candidate
- Get: Retrieve job
- Job Stages
- Get: List Job Stages
- Get: List Job Stages for Job
- Get: Retrieve User
Expand here for an example screenshot of the permissions list when fully filled out
- Enter your Harvest API Key under the Upload Your Harvest API Key heading in the your Team Settings page of the Byteboard client dashboard, then refresh the Byteboard portal page before continuing on to section 3.
Expand here for an example screenshot
3. Map Job Stages to Next Steps Categories
Expand here for example screenshot of “Waiting for API key” message
In order to help us track how you’ve followed up with a candidate after their Byteboard interview, we need to know which of your Greenhouse stages correspond to Byteboard’s Next Steps.
- Make sure to map all Greenhouse stages in your interview process that could come after a Byteboard interview (it’s even okay to map a stage that may not be used just in case)
- Click Edit stage names to open the dropdown
Expand here for an example screenshot of “Loading Stage Names”
Expand here for an example of successfully loaded stages
- Make sure that your offer stage is correctly assigned as Offer
Expand here for an example screenshot
- Ensure that your onsite (including virtual onsite or similar steps) follow-up interview(s) is/are assigned as Onsite
- If you have a technical phone screen or similar step that occurs after Byteboard and before an Onsite, assign that as TPS
- Leave all other stages unassigned
- Click the Update stage names button
4. Set up Web Hooks
Setting up web hooks allows Byteboard to track the status of your candidates after their interview.
Navigate to the Greenhouse web hook configuration page, Configure (Settings) → Dev Center → Web Hooks.
Once there, create the following web hooks:
- Candidate has changed stage
- Candidate has been hired
- Candidate has been unhired
- Candidate or Prospect rejected
- Candidate or Prospect unrejected
For each web hook listed above, you will need to:
- Give the web hook a name (this can be any value you choose, e.g., “stage change”, “hired”, “unhired”, etc.)
- You will also need to select the web hook action that matches each value listed above from the dropdown in Greenhouse
- If you see a radio button that says “Deactivated?,” ensure it remains on “No” as it is by default
Expand here for an example screenshot of a created web hook
- Then copy+paste the Endpoint URL and Secret Key from the Byteboard integration setup page. You can leave other fields blank. Note, these will have to be copied and pasted for all 5 web hooks.
Expand here for an example screenshot
5. Message the Byteboard Team Upon Completion
- That way your Customer Success representative will be able to best support your team and to help test the integration and verify that it is working as expected. (testing optional)
Using the Byteboard-Greenhouse Integration
Follow these steps to invite a candidate to a Byteboard interview using the Greenhouse integration:
- Before sending the relevant Byteboard interview type to a candidate from Greenhouse, first make sure to click into the Candidate record and edit the “Who Gets Credit” field in the Update Source pop-up window.
- Select the desired user from the dropdown here in Greenhouse and click Update Source.
Expand here for example screenshot of editing “Who Gets Credit” on GH Candidate record
Expand here for example screenshot of Update Source popup and ‘Who Gets Credit’
- When candidates are moved into the Byteboard interview stage, Greenhouse will display a Send Test link. Click the link to send the Interview Invitation.
- A popup will show up to allow you to choose the test being sent, and to add the Greenhouse users who should be notified when the test results are complete
- The status of the assessment will be viewable in Greenhouse throughout the interview process:
- Once the candidate has submitted their test, the Interview Kit will contain a link to view the submitted test from Byteboard.
After you click on the Interview Kit on the candidate’s profile, the URL will be available to view the test results from Byteboard.
- As the candidate moves forward through the interview process in Greenhouse, the Next Steps and Offer Status columns will automatically populate. If you move a candidate into one of the stages that you configured as TPS, Onsite, or Offer, or if you mark a candidate as having withdrawn or having been rejected, the status will update based on the information you provided.
- If a candidate is moved into a stage configured for TPS or Onsite (See Section 3 Steps 3 and 4 above), their Next Steps column will update based on the configuration of their current stage.
- If a candidate is moved into a stage configured for Offer, (See Section 3 Step 2 above), their Offer Status column will update to “Offer Made”. The Next Steps column will remain as set previously or be set to “n/a” if no previous information exists.
- If a candidate is archived with a “rejected” reason type:
- Before being moved to an Onsite or TPS stage, Next Steps is set to “Rejected” and Offer Status is set to “n/a”
- After moving to an Onsite or TPS stage, Next Steps are left as is and Offer Status is set to “No Offer”
- If a candidate is archived with a “withdrew” reason type:
- Before being moved to an Onsite or TPS stage, Next Steps is set to “Withdrew” and Offer Status is set to “n/a”
- After moving to an Onsite or TPS stage but before being moved to Offer stage, Next Steps are left as is and Offer Status is set to “Withdrew”
- After moving to an Offer stage, the Offer Status will be set to “Offer Declined”
Expand here for additional detail on Next Steps and Offer Status configurations
Visual Summary of Integration Updates
- Review the before-and-after photos below of the Byteboard candidates table to visualize the added benefits of completing the Byteboard-Greenhouse integration updates for your team!